Looking to spice up your cocktail skills? Our Birmingham Restaurant Week beverage sponsors – Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Dulce Vida Tequila, Bumbu Rum, John Emerald Bourbon, Red Diamond Coffee & Tea and Coca-Cola United are here to help! These cocktails take a fun twist on classics while also introducing new elements that are sure to help you mix things up.
1. Skinny Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita by Dulce Vida Tequila featuring AHA
- 1 oz. Dulce Vida Pineapple Jalapeño Tequila
- 3 oz. AHA Citrus-Lime Sparkling Water
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Garnish with pineapple or lime or jalapeño
- Salt rim
Add a salt rim to a lowball or margarita glass. Mix ingredients and a scoop of ice in a cocktail shaker and briefly shake before adding it to your glass. Garnish with a slice of pineapple, lime or jalapeno. Enjoy!
2. Old Fashioned by John Emerald Bourbon
- 1 1/2 oz of John Emerald Double Oak Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons of simple syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Orange slice or peel to garnish
Pour the bourbon, simple syrup and bitters into a whiskey glass and stir. Add in ice cubes and garnish with an orange slice or peel.
3. Mexican Coffee with Dulce Vida Tequila featuring Red Diamond Coffee & Tea
- 1 oz. Dulce Vida Tequila Blanco
- ½ oz. coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlúa)
- 1/2 oz. anise-flavored liqueur
- 1 c. strong brewed Red Diamond® coffee, very hot
- freshly whipped cream and maraschino cherry with stem to garnish
While coffee is brewing, mix all other ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake briefly before dumping into a martini glass. Add the hot coffee to the mixture and top off with fresh whipped cream. Place a maraschino cherry on top and enjoy!
4. Black Beard by Bumbu Rum featuring Coca-Cola
- 1 ½ oz Original Bumbu
- ¼ oz Coca Cola reduction
- 6 drops of Angostura bitters
- ½ oz Batavia Arrack
- Orange peel for garnish
Add all ingredients into a mixing glass. Add ice and stir for 20 seconds. Strain over ice in a lowball glass and garnish with a flamed orange chip.
5. Skinny Paloma by Dulce Vida Tequila
- 1 oz. Dulce Vida Grapefruit Tequila
- 3 oz. club soda
- Squeeze of Fresh Lime
- Garnish with lime or grapefruit
Add a salt rim to a lowball or Collin’s glass. Mix ingredients and a scoop of ice in a cocktail shaker and briefly shake before adding it to your glass. Garnish with a lime wedge or grapefruit slice.
6. Bumbu Mix by Bumbu Rum
- Equal parts of regular Bumbu and Bumbu Crème with ice
Mix these two Bumbu Rum products together over ice for a nice, creamy dessert beverage.
7. Russian Tea with Tito’s Handmade Vodka featuring Red Diamond Coffee & Tea
- 4 oz. Red Diamond® Black Tea
- 2 oz. Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 2 tbsp. of pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp. of orange juice
- ¾ tbsp. of lemon juice
- Orange slice, clove and cinnamon stick for garnish
Brew your tea and sweeten if you desire a sweeter cocktail. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake briefly before dumping the contents into a highball, Collin’s glass or Mason jar. Garnish with an orange slice, clove and cinnamon stick.
8. Mexican Mule by Dulce Vida Tequila
- 2 oz. parts Dulce Vida Lime Tequila
- Fresh squeeze of lime
- 4 oz. Ginger Beer
- Garnish with lime
Add tequila, lime juice and a scoop of ice to a cocktail shaker and briefly shake before adding to a mule mug. Top off with ginger beer and garnish with a lime wedge.
9. Dark and Stormy by Bumbu Rum
- 2 oz. Bumbu XO rum
- 3 ⅓ oz. Ginger beer
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
In a highball glass filled with ice, add rum and top with ginger beer and lime juice. Garnish with a lime wedge.
10. Sol Y Luna’s Dulce Vida Reposado Ancho Pepper Cocktail featuring Dulce Vida Tequila
- 1 ½ oz Dulce Vida Reposado
- 1 oz Ancho Pepper Syrup
- 1 oz mango syrup
- Splash of tabasco
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Ancho pepper to garnish
- Salt rim
Mix these ingredients up in a cocktail shaker and serve in a glass with a salted rim, or head to Sol Y Luna during BRW to try it out for yourself!
11. French Vanilla Espresso Martini by Tito’s Handmade Vodka featuring Red Diamond Coffee and Tea
- 2 oz of Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 1 oz of Red Diamond French Vanilla Coffee
- 1 oz of espresso liqueur
- ½ oz of simple syrup
- ½ oz of creamer
- A few Red Diamond French Vanilla Coffee beans for garnish.
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a glass. Garnish with coffee beans.
Get to mixin’! Share your cocktail creations on social media and tag us at @BhamRestWeek on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Follow along with us and be sure to take advantage of the best culinary and beverage deals our participants have to offer Feb. 17-26! You may even see one of these cocktails on a BRW menu (coming very soon)! Cheers, folks!
In addition to our liquor, soda and tea sponsors, other gracious sponsors include: Spire, United-Johnson Brothers of Alabama, Sysco Foods, Birmingham Budweiser, the Birmingham City Council, Events at Haven, The Fennec, Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau, Amplify Marketing, HotHouse Design Studio and ExcursionsGo. BRW media sponsors include Fox 6 WBRC, Birmingham Mountain Radio and Bham Now.
For more information about BRW, visit www.bhamrestaurantweek.com.